related metrics presents an opportunity to trigger policy learning, action, and cooperation to bring cities closer to sustainable development.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity for networking with top experts in the field of sustainable development from all around the world and, through our SDEWES social program, exchange ideas in a more informal way, while enjoying the beautiful sights, sounds and tastes of Sicily.
SDEWES Conference Social programme consists of Welcome reception and Social event (excursion + conference dinner) and is included in your Conference fee. If you are coming with your significant other, we have Accompanying person fee which is 100 EUR (for more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org).
Social programme schedule:
Sunday, September 30 – Welcome reception at 18:00 h
Join us at the start of the Conference on September 30th when SDEWES Welcome reception will be held at the Conference venue, Splendid Hotel La Torre where we will meet and greet and enjoy local cuisine and lovely view.
Tuesday, October 2
City tour - 14:30 h in front of the conference venue, 15:00 h at Politeama shuttle drop off location
Conference dinner – 19:30 h at Tonnara Florio
Social event will start on Tuesday, with departure in front of the conference venue at 14:30 h for a historical tour around the centre of Palermo. Exact schedule will be available few days before the conference. Conference dinner is planned around 19:30 h at Tonnara Florio restaurant where a lovely buffet dinner with Sicilian specialties is waiting for us (wine and one additional drink included). Bus transportation to and from the restaurant will be organized by the conference.
We will also enjoy the performance of an academic bend with a setlist including blues, pop, rock covers travelling from Beatles, Massive Attack, Cake to Michael Bublé. iGem (the acronym for Electromagnetic Round Dances) was founded three years ago by professors, researchers and (PhD) students belonging to the DEIM department, University of Palermo.
Information on the historical venues the conference tour will include:
The Cathedral is an extraordinary (and enormous) feast of geometric patterns, ziggurat crenulations, majolica cupolas and blind arches. Its architectural styles recall clearly how the various dominations have alternated over the centuries to the city government.
Palazzo Abatellis. The regional art gallery is housed in Palazzo Abatellis, one of the best-preserved Gothic-Catalan edifice in Western Sicily building with some Renaissance features, designed by Matteo Carnelivari who was active in Palermo towards the end of the 15th century.
The Palatine Chapel is a testimony to the fusion of different architectural and artistic cultures, i.e., Arabic, Byzantine and Latin. Its construction, started in 1130, the year when Roger II became the first king of Sicily, was completed over a 15-year period and it was consecrated, according to an inscription in its dome, in 1143. Its mosaics are among the most beautiful Byzantine art production that show decorations, including human figures, adorn the stalactites which makes it unique as example in the Islamic art history.
Interior of Palatine Chapel (zoomed view of mosaics)
The Palazzina Cinese houses the Museo Etnografico Pitrè, Sicily's best ethnographic museum. It holds over 5000 objects, including traditional costumes, pottery, puppets, votive offerings, torture instruments and a model of the 18th-century Carrozza di Santa Rosalia (a massive cart used to carry the effigy of the saint through the streets during the Festino of Santa Rosalia).
Palazzo dei Normanni. The Norman Palace is located at the heart of the original town, probably on a site occupied in Punic times by a fortress. Today, the palace serves as the seat of the Sicilian Parliament (or ARS, that is Assemblea Regionale Siciliana).
I Quattro Canti. The busy intersection of Corso Vittorio Emanuele and Via Maqueda marks the Quattro Canti, the center of the oldest part of the town.
Piazza Pretoria. At the centre of this lovely piazza is a spectacular fountain by the 1500’s Florentine sculptor Francesco Camilliani, originally intended as a garden ornament for some Tuscan villa.
Information and pictures are courtesy of the Sicilian Convention Bureau
* LOC reserves the rights to change Social events and programme